Why are we talking about laughter all of a sudden? Because first Sunday of month of May is celebrated as “World Laughter Day”
Now before we dive into the health aspect of the laughter, can I just be vain for a minute and address how good people look when they laugh! A persons’ attractiveness quotient, reliability quotient, and friendliness quotient shoots through the roof when they laugh (no research to cite here, just personal experiences :P)
- Inexpensive: one need not spend any money to redeem a good laugh.
- Readily available: You can absolutely do it anytime.
- Accessible: and literally anywhere! (except funerals and also maybe when your spouse wants to have ‘a talk’! ☠️)
- Contagious: Laugh and the world laughs with you 🙂
- Remedy for all diseases: contrary to the popular belief, laughter isn’t the miraculous cure for all illnesses… none the less it does render numerous health benefits. Read benefits of laughter.
- Easy for all: Conditions like depression, lack of sleep, financial worries and emotional turmoil can get in the way of a purely whole-hearted laughter. If combating depression, get help immediately!
- Always about happiness: Have you ever laughed out loud in despair, agony, and anger? I know I have…
However, Laughter DOES-
- Increase your Happy Hormones: Laughter indeed increases your serotonin levels which in turn makes you a happier and lighter version of yourself.
- Relieves Stress: laughter interferes with the release of stress hormones. And less stress means happy hormones, happy heart, and a happier you!
- Keep your skin youthful: when you laugh you tend to breathe heavily, heart rate increases, lungs expand and we consume more oxygen/expel more carbon dioxide. Also not just lungs, skin too gets some extra O2 which helps in keeping it youthful and glowing.
- Give your tummy an exercise: a belly laugh is one of best ways of giving your abdominal muscles a good exercise (think toned abs😍)
- Fight Germs! : Yes you read it right. Anxiety and depression weaken our immune system and laughter by fighting them makes us stronger!
7. Makes you more approachable: It’s true, people like happy people… people are innately drawn towards a whole hearted laughter.
How to laugh more?
- Laughter Yoga: remember back in kindergarten (well if you do remember that far beyond 🙌🙌🙌) when one kid would start giggling, eventually the entire class would start giggling! Yes, laughter indeed is contagious! A group of people laughing will make you laugh even if initially you are not feeling like it! So, what are you waiting for? Join a laughter club near you today!
- Read funny: I don’t know about y’all but I have always been a fan of newspaper comic strips…I grew up reading Chintoo!!
What is your favorite comic strip? Share with us down below in the comments…
3. Watch funny: Have at least one sitcom on your weekly must-watch list (give thrones and prison dramas a break once in a while!). Some of my personal favorites are(list again is non-comprehensive and totally subjective!!) Hum Paanch (❤️), Chala Hawa Yeu Dya, Brooklyn 99, Arrested Development, SNL… What are some of your favorite sitcoms?
And then there are stand-up comedians, YouTubers, satiric talk shows…
Now listen here, I am not promoting watching TV 24/7, just that if you are going to spend some time in front of the screen, might as well make it into “chuckle time”
4. Friends that laugh together, stay together: You must have heard this advice “befriend a funny person(?)”. It’s true that we gravitate towards funny people and want to get chummy with them; but how cool is it ‘ to befriend someone with a motive and because of a certain trait of theirs’?(!). Instead,
Be silly and unapologetically funny yourself, when around friends (existing ones!) Share funny quotes with them! Have inside jokes! Watch a funny movie with them… Together be a bunch of goofs😉
ONE THING YOU MUST NEVER DO THOUGH is laughing at someone, laughing at someone’s expense and taking pleasure in someone’s misery!
“Once again, we Team DawaiBox wish you all a joyful world laughter day”. Keep laughing, always…
For more such tips and stories join our Newsletter,