As world breastfeeding week (First week of August) comes to an end, we have seen endless articles and advertisements endorsing breastfeeding. They all tell us that breastfeeding is important. And Breastfeeding IS IMPORTANT indeed. It-
- nourishes the baby
- gives the baby the strength to fight illnesses by providing antibodies
- lowers baby’s risk of developing asthma, allergies and respiratory issues later in the life
- uterus shrinking and weight loss in mother
- helps strengthen the infant-mother bond
However many a time there are hurdles a new mother faces while breastfeeding. Hurdles like-
- Not producing enough milk
- Baby not able to latch to the breast correctly
- Cracked Nipples
- Clogged Ducts etc.
Read more on this,
Traditionally in India, a new mother gets a lot of support from her mother/mother in law and sometimes also the midwife. But in this day and age when most women are away from the family and away from the much-needed support. There are multiple resources available to guide them. One such great resource is Spoken Tutorials on Breastfeeding and Child Nutrition by IIT, Bombay.
These tutorials are very informative, full of easy and practical guidelines and most importantly, are available in multiple languages (Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Konkani, Tamil, and English). Make sure to check rest of the breastfeeding tutorials on-
Hope this helps. Happy Breastfeeding 🙂
PS/Disclaimer: This article is not sponsored by IIT Bombay or GOI. The writer (me!) is sharing the information purely in the interest of public health 😉